The Honda BF100 incorporates innovative, advanced design elements, making this all-new engine a leading mid-range outboard choice among today’s boating enthusiasts:
- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control™ (VTEC™) utilizes mild cam lobes to operate intake valves at low rpm, then engages a high-output lobe for higher-rpm operation. The design provides a unique blend of power, torque, and efficiency at any speed. First debuted in the high-performance Acura NSX sports car, VTEC™ technology offers a broad, flat torque curve and smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s entire operating range, allowing the operator to enjoy outstanding performance and impressive fuel efficiency.
- The Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST®) System dramatically improves hole shot and acceleration by advancing ignition spark timing to within one degree of the knock limit during ‘hammer down’ acceleration. The resulting boost in available torque at low rpm contributes to a strong hole shot to get the boat up on plane quickly. The ignition spark timing is appropriately adjusted under slower throttle advancement, ensuring a leaner air/fuel mix and class-leading fuel efficiency.
- Lean Burn Control, a feature that automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load while maximizing power throughout the acceleration range—providing best-in-class fuel economy in cruise mode (2,000 to 4,500 rpm).
- Programmed Electronic Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each engine cylinder. The result is easy starting, along with instant throttle response and superior fuel efficiency.
- Superior battery charging is achieved with the Honda exclusive neodymium magnet flywheel. As a point of reference, the BF100 produces 44 total amps and 35 charging amps; measurements are taken at normal operating temperatures.
- A new, high performance gear case reduces drag, and minimizes hull porpoise and spray to increase acceleration and top speed.